(212) 736-0055

Schedule Your Small Business Success Consultation

IRS Reminder for Classification of Workers as Employees or Independent Contractors

Avatar photo

IRS Reminder for Classification of Workers as Employees or Independent Contractors

The IRS has emphasized the importance of correctly determining whether the individuals providing services to businesses were employees or independent contractors. Generally, an employee performs services that businesses control. Independent contractors offer their services to the public. Businesses have a right to control the details of the services performed.

The classification depends on the:

  • company’s behavioral Control on what the worker does and how the job is performed;
  • business’ direct or control the financial and business aspects of the worker; and
  • relationship of the Parties ascertained by written contracts or employee type benefits.

Misclassification of Workers
Businesses could be held liable for employment taxes if an employee is misclassified without a reasonable basis.

Workers can use Form 8919, Uncollected Social Security and Medicare Tax on Wages, to figure and report their share of uncollected taxes due on their compensation if they believe they have been improperly classified as independent contractors

Voluntary Classification Settlement Program
Taxpayers can reclassify their workers as employees for future tax periods for eligible taxpayers that agree to treat their workers as employees through the Voluntary Classification Settlement Program. Taxpayers must fulfill eligibility requirements, apply by filing Form 8952, Application for Voluntary Classification Settlement Program, and enter into a closing agreement with the IRS.

Self-employed individuals must file an annual tax return and pay estimated tax quarterly. They pay self-employment tax (Social Security and Medicare tax) and income tax. If self-employed individuals use part of business home, they may claim the home office deduction.

Gig Economy
Taxpayers must report gig economy income on a tax return even if the income is part-time, temporary or side work; not reported on a Form 1099-K, 1099-MISC, W-2 or other income statements; or paid in any form, including cash, property, goods or virtual currency.